Welcoming a pet dog into your life may be one of the most wonderful and also satisfying things you actually carry out in your lifetime. You'll assist the dog through providing the dog the love and also attention that he wants, while supplying you with a great companion to share your own life with. All these teaching ideas have been written to help you develop a joyful daily life together with your brand-new good friend.
When you find yourself concentrating on training your most recent add-on to your family, do not accidentally discipline your pet for very good conduct. When you have a brand-new puppy dog, by way of example, and then he will go to the bathroom outside properly you should not abandon your new puppy outside all alone. Take time with the pup and even play with your pet mainly because when you leave him alone he'll be sad and even think he did some thing drastically wrong.
Every single dog requires a tranquil and assured leader to really feel secure and safe.. Any pet owner can show that he's a strong leader by way of inviting and rewarding excellent behavior. Showing to your pet that you are a strong alpha dog makes teaching easier as well as secures a bond in between dog and pet owner.
Puppy owners should learn to take notice of their own pet dogs. When a dog indicates that they are uneasy in a situation, such as together with some other puppy, it's under no circumstances really good for you to push him further than he would like to go. Take a step backwards and then re-evaluate the circumstance, or perhaps come back to this another time.
When giving instructions for your dog, never repeat the particular command again and again ahead of any reaction. By providing the command one time and then patiently waiting for your pet to answer, you are going to teach him that you are expectant of the behavior. In the event the order isn't followed at first, clearly show your furry friend whatever you are expecting prior to saying the instruction yet again.
Whenever focusing on showing your canine an order, keep training sessions shorter. It's significantly better to teach your canine for five minutes, 3 times each day, than an all-in-one 15 minute period. This can keep the dog on target. Before your puppy will get bored to death, end the session. This tends to always keep him interested and even wanting far more.
Whenever dog training, utilize the doggie's name when you wish their particular attention. That ensures that you will have really good verbal control when you go outside your house, plus really good verbal control is totally important to responsible family pet ownership. Under no circumstances call your canine to you by name so that you can dish out consequences, simply because this can create an unfavorable connection with the pup's name.
When you are teaching your dog, be certain that you're very patient. Various dog breeds learn at totally different rates. One puppy can quickly learn even though another puppy will require quite a long time. If you are impatient you'll stress your pet dog and he is going to be resistant against your best training efforts.
When training your dog for particular instructions, make sure you use the exact same wording during everyday life as you do in the course of teaching periods. If you choose "down" for "lie down", make use of "down" any time you really want the puppy to lie down. Changing your language can confound your canine and then interfere with instruction.
Among the most important things to keep in mind while training your dog is that it is a lifelong procedure. A lot of owners feel that once their own pet has got the basics down, the educational process is now over. Puppies, a lot like people, learn throughout their lives, and steady training is going to enable them to be very well behaved and also friendly.
Make certain you're not reinforcing an unsatisfactory behavior. You dont want to provide your pet dog doggie snacks or even special attention throughout training if they are not really performing the task adequately. When you do, then they're going to feel you are pleased and continue to perform things the way they're doing them, and then they won't advance.
Use the tips and advice that have been included within this report, to develop an excellent relationship with your hairy companion. You are sure to gain benefit from the tips, if you take the time to utilize them as part of your canine training. Help your new friend act in a manner that is going to make your pet great to reside with.
The average, healthy cat adopted from a shelter is not aggressive and should not hurt you under normal circumstances. Some cats will occasionally bite or scratch at you when irritated or handled roughly, and some may act mean toward other cats in the house or neighbor cats. But generally, your average healthy cat should not hurt you or others.
Causes of aggressive behavior:
There are several possible reasons for aggressive behavior in cats.
- Lack of handling as a kitten: frequent handling of a kitten is a very important part of bringing up a friendly and gentle cat. When a kitten is not handled much or at all, he can grow up disliking being touched and preferring to be left alone. Such a cat may resist handling with a nip or a slap with his paws. A big part of behavior problems with feral cats is the lack of human handling at a critical stage in his life.
- Mistreatment or abuse: if a cat or kitten is treated very roughly to the point that he suffers pain and discomfort, he will learn to resist human contact.
- Illness or injury: an ill or injured cat, similar to people, can be quite irritable and even hostile. Even an innocent touch can cause pain or discomfort. A thyroid problem is just one condition known to trigger aggressive behavior in cats. Take your cat to a vet to determine if your pet's aggression is caused by being sick or injured.
- Rough handling or play
- Threatening or frightening situation: cats are cautious creatures. Your cat may be frightened of something as obvious as a strange dog or as trivial as a slammed door. In either case, if you are holding him when he bolts, he might scratch you while trying to get away. If it is an extremely frightening situation, he might even bite.
- Stressful living environment: a stressed cat is more likely to bite or scratch or, more often, become skittish. Stress can be caused by many different factors. Your home may not be large enough for your family and your cats. Or too noisy; certain noise levels or sounds may trigger aggressive behavior. If your cat was used to regular time outside and now stays indoors, this change can also cause stress.
- Diet: certain foods, malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies can also trigger aggression.
- Old age: old cats sometimes get grumpy. As long as he is not hurting anyone, let him growl or hiss.
- Declawing: declawed cats are sometimes more aggressive or quick to bite.
- Lack of exercise or boredom.
Man's best friend is a very interesting animal. To see what some of the interesting things about dogs are, we can look at physical traits, historical facts, famous dogs, and phrases concerning canines.
- The pressure applied by the mouth of the average dog is 150-200 pounds per square inch and 450 pounds of pressure is applied by some dog's mouth's.
- The canines sense of smell is 100,000 times more powerful than a persons.
- Dogs have 2x more ears muscles for movement than humans.
- It takes about 12 days after birth for puppies eyes to open completely.
- A 1 year old dog and a person 15 years old are are equal in physical maturity.
- A dog's normal body temperature is 101.2 degrees F.
- A dog's range of hearing includes sound waves that vibrate at frequencies over 30,000 x per second.
- President Lyndon Johnson's 2 beagles were named Him and Her.
- The Russian dog Laika was the first space dog in 1957.
- Davy Crockett's dog was named Sport.
- Collies were first called Scottish sheep dogs; this changed in the 1800's.
- Marie Antoinette's spaniel was named Thisbe.
- The Bible mentions dogs 14 times.
- George Washington owned 36 foxhounds. One's name was Sweetlips.
- Three dogs were survivors of the Titanic; the breeds were Pekingese, Newfoundland, and Pomeranian.
- Roman mounted soldiers were accompanied by mastiffs in light armor.
- Pete, the dog of Teddy Roosevelt torn off a French ambassador's trousers, while he was visiting the White House.
- The ancient Egyptians bred greyhounds.
- The Cracker Jack's dog's name is Bingo.
- Toto from the Wizard of Oz was a Carin Terrier, female, and named Terry.
- The first canine Hollywood star was Rin Tin Tin.
- All of the dogs that played Lassie were male.
- Gidget is the Taco Bell dog's name.
- Richard Brome wrote a comedy The City Wit or The Woman Wears the Breeches in 1653 that has this line in it: "It shall raine... Dogs and Polecats".
- Jonathan Swift's poem, A Description of a City Shower, which was published in 1710 mentions drowned puppies and dead cats being washed through the streets during heavy rainfall.
- The phrase 'dog days' or 'dog days of summer' comes from the belief that the hot summer days were caused by Sirius, which is the Dog Star. Its brightness is second to the sun. The ancient Romans made sacrefices to the star to stop the anger of Sirius, so the humidity and heat would lessen. The Roman term was caniculares dies; it means 'days of the dogs.' The Dog Star rose around the time of sunrise. It is called the helical rising. The name Dog Star comes from the Egyptians naming it after the god Osisrus.
- Here are a few other dog phrases: that dog won't hunt, it's a dog eat dog world, top dog, and every dog has its day.
Dogs are a man's best friend as the saying goes, but truthfully, they are a member of the family. How many times has your furry friend been the ruler of your household? In this way, they are like small children, defenseless and dependent on you for their very livelihood. They also depend on you for their entertainment, as many a pair of shoes can attest to! This is one of the many reasons a dog toy box can be such a great idea.
A new puppy will chew, chew and chew some more! They will chew on wires, shoes, your favorite fishing pole or anything else they can wrap their little jaws around, including you. To combat this potentially destructive behavior someone very smart invented the concept of doggy chew toys. There are balls, bones and furry little toys all geared for one purpose to give your dog something safe to chew upon. All of these many toys need a dog toy box, not only to keep them out from under your feet, but also to give your pet an added bonus of always having the toys available to him.
A good dog toy box can really be made of any material but a strong plastic tub like box is probably best. Be sure that the box is low sided enough to allow your pet access but sturdy and tall enough to securely contain all the doggy chew toys. Pet stores will carry specially made toy boxes for dogs but realistically you can utilize any type of tub and save some money in the end.
In addition to keeping a neat home, a dog toy box provides your precious pet with much needed exercise and stimulation. You pet will have a ball digging through the box to find that favorite chew toy! If you are very fortunate, you might even be able to train Fido to return his chew toys to the box when he is done playing with them. These activities will give your dog much needed exercise and also provide mental stimulation in the process.
One of the best aspects of the dog toy box is the convenience. You can simply move the box and all its contents into the area where the puppy will spend most of his time. That way if you need to put your puppy in another room for instance like when company is arriving he will have no excuse for chewing on everything in sight. In addition they are a handy tool if you are going to take your puppy on an outing or long trip, you can simply pack up the toy box!
Make sure you change the toys out every once in awhile. Bring in new toys and remove the destroyed ones to keep the game fresh and exciting. You may find that your puppy quickly understands that there may be new undiscovered treasure in his dog toy box.
It does not take a great deal of money to create the perfect dog toy box. With a little time and creativity, you will soon have a box filled with safe toys to chew on and your house will thank you! You might be amazed how convenient and helpful a toy box for your dog will truly be.
Every day we hear more about the new "hybrid" dogs, or "designer" dogs. Each feature is accompanied by pictures of adorable puppies that are examples of this new "breed."
Of course they're cute! All puppies are! Should you pay hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of dollars for one? Certainly not! The offspring of a mating between two purebred dogs of different breeds is a mongrel, a mutt. And if you have one, you should love it, train it and care for it as if it had the bluest blood of the canine kingdom.
Every dog breed, and there are hundreds in the world, was "created" by humans. Each breed was developed for a specific purpose - whether that original job was guarding the flock or being the ideal lap-dog. There's no reason that development shouldn't continue. If there is a need for a dog with particular characteristics, enterprising individuals will come forward to fill that need.
However, it takes many generations to "breed true." Compare yourself to your siblings. Do you all have the same looks, same personality, same interests and strengths? Chances are, you don't. Each of you has some of the "best" traits of your parents. But those may not be the same traits. And each of you has some of the worst.
Two of the best-known mixed-breeds out there now are the "Golden Doodle" and the "Puggle." The thinking behind these crosses is fairly obvious: wouldn't it be nice to have a Golden Retriever's personality and willingness to please combined with the Poodle's non-shedding coat and intelligence? Wouldn't it be equally delightful to have a small dog without the breathing issues of a Pug, but quieter than a Beagle?
But there is no way of knowing you won't get a high-strung, noisy, stubborn, slobbering mutt who sheds like the dickens!
If you are considering spending the kind of money that these "hybrids" are commanding, be sure to research all of the traits of the contributing breeds. You will get a mixture of the two. And an equally adorable mixture may be waiting for you at your local shelter - the size you want, with the coat you want and the adorable face that melts your heart.
If you require certain characteristics in your puppy - whether a family member has allergies, or you have a very small, or no yard, or your household requires a quiet, "easy keeper," or if you wish to fully participate in the world of canine competition, consider a pure-bred animal. There are over 150 breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club.
This dog sport is called dog disc or Frisbee dog. In this sport the dog and his handler compete together, with the handler throwing the flying disc and the dog catching it. Two of the competitions are freestyle catching and distance catching.
In the 1970's it became popular to throw flying discs with family, friends, and dogs. Then in 1974 at a nationally televised game between the the Cincinnati Reds and the Los Angeles Dodgers, a young man named Alex Stein ran onto the field with his dog and Ashley mesmerized the audience by jumping as high as nine feet and racing up to thirty-five mph to catch the two freebees that Stein threw. After eight minutes of this stunt Stein got arrested, but Joe Garagoila had announced the feats that Stein and his dog performed together. Later, Stein helped to develop the Frisbee Dog World Championship.
In the official competition a team is made up of a dog and his owner. A team gains points for catches of different distances with a set timing. Freestyle events include music and choreography, several discs are used at a time, and the routines are brief. Freestyle can be very flamboyant. The dog may launch from the handlers back, knees or chest. Quick return of several discs and catching a disc with another in the dog's mouth is another stunt.
There are several names for short distance events: distance and accuracy, throw and catch, mini-distance, and toss and fetch. These competitions are sponsored by organizations such as The Flying Disc Dog Open, Purina Incredible Dog Challenge, and Quadruped.
Mixed bred dogs are totally welcomed in these competitions; sometimes dogs from shelters that have been given a home are in the competitions. It is a good way to overcome any problems caused by a dog having been abandoned such as neurotic behavior, being destructive, hyperactivity, and being aggressive.
There are disc dog clubs in many areas of the globe like Europe, Asia, Australia, and the U.S.A. The original club was stated by Ron Ellis during the 1980's.
The medium size dog has the advantage in the disc dog sport. Plus, the dog needs an athletic body and good structure. It is harder sport for small and large dogs. A few of the disc clubs have divisions for small dogs.
This dog sport requires minimum equipment, a big space to practice in, and your dog. Throw away a disc that has rough spots on it that can hurt your dogs gums or sand it. Don't allow him to use it as a chew toy. The disc should not be hard. The disc should be thin, soft though rigid, and light. These are the flexible kind of dog discs: Nylabone, Foppy Disk, Frisbee Flashback, and Aerobie.
The discs need to be maintained. The dirt on a moving disc grinds against your dog's teeth. The disc will clean well in a dishwasher. Sand off any rough spots. This will remove cuts and dents that can scratch the dog's mouth.